Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Camp Mendocino!

What can I say... It was awesome!! I love the woods and living out in the woods was amazing... We had cabins that were exactly what I explained... I ment to take a pictures of them but I forgot! But like the walls went up to about the bottom of the top bed of the bunk beds and then instead of being like windows there were just thick canvas material. So they were cold but I actually stayed really warm in my sleeping bag so that was awesome but it was freezing when getting out of bed at 5am for PT. Burr!!

So Sunday morning we packed up the vans around 6:30am and then went and got our TB shots read and headed to Camp Mendocino which is 4 hours away. I drove the first two hours and then another girl from my team Amy drive the second two hours. (We are only allowed to drive more than two hours at a time and then we have to switch drivers along with passenger seat people who are called our safeties) We got there, got a tour of the camp, and then we as a team walked down the railroad tracks to the Giant Tree!! It was awesome!! It took about 20 people to go all the way around. I got some pictures!





So then we had dinner and played a game as a unit to see how well we knew our Team which we did pretty well, at one point we were winning but then we lost a few questions. But it was a ton of fun and apparently I do all the crazy stuff like, most likely to pick up a snake, most likely to go on a reality show, most likely to take a dare... It was a lot of fun!

The next day we had PT at 5:30am so we got up at 5am and do PT for a half hour... we got out early cause we had to set up for breakfast. Thank goodness cause that half hour was killing me!! Anyways we had Breakfast and then we did our mini project for two hours that consisted of using screw drivers to clean out the cracks in a porch and we started staining the railing but even though it was super boring it was alright cause it is stuff that needed to be done! A group later in the afternoon then went back and stained the whole porch so that's awesome. Then it was lunch and then Team and Personal Challenges time. We did a lot of team building challenges like the Spiders web and this one that you start with half your team on one square and half on the other square but one is a lot smaller then the other and you have to switch positions with swinging on a rope. It got really frustrating at times and I stayed frustrated for a while but oh well that's going to happen so it was a good learning experience! Then we did a high ropes course thing and our activity was called the Catwalk. We had to climb up a ladder half way up a tree and then the rest of the way on these little rings that were sticking out the tree up to a log that was suspended between to trees about 30-40 feet in the air! It was scary but super fun at the same time!! I even walked no handed half way acrossed but the first time acrossed I held onto the rope in front of me!




After that we had dinner and some free time. Then it was campfire time! We had a unit camp fire so all of the Gold Unit had a fire together and each team had to come up with a skit. So we did a little stomp routine which turned out really cool even though I screwed up really bad but that's alright it was fun and we learned it in a day!! All of the skits turned out really good and they were fun to watch!

That brings us to today... Got up at 5am for PT at 5:30am, loaded up the vans, had our unit picture taken and then we had AmeriOlympics. Which there were about 5 different games. 1) a three person 4 legged run which the middle person (me) had to go backwards. We came in second! 2) a trash bag run but the bags they had were the tiny ones and not the bigger ones so it was really funny! 3) a egg run... had 5 people and had to go acrossed with the egg on a spoon. 4) A boot toss which there person (me) had to throw the steel toed boot and try to get it as close to the hula hoop as possible. I got it the closes on our warm up throw and about second/third closes on the final one. 5) a PPE (Personal protective equipment) relay... the person had to fun acrossed put on all the PPE... which was coveralls, safety glasses, hard hats, and bandannas. It was a lot of fun!! After that we got in our vans and headed home!

So the past couple days were really fun and we got to know our teams alot better which is always fun! There are still some kinks in our team that will hopefully work out but all in all we grew alot as a team! I'll post a few more pictures and sorry this post is So long!! :D For those of you who made it through the whole thing :D
My Team! Gold 7! Top L-R: Matt, Josie, Jen, Tara, Amy, Me, Molly Bottom L-R: Larry, Merilee, Katie, Marissa, Aaron

Got to Love the Coveralls!!

No comments: