Wednesday, February 4, 2009

February Already?

It's February huh? Really?! I'm surrounded by 60 degree weather and sunshine.... how is it February! It's definitely not a winter I've experienced before! Life at school is going fantastic! I love it! The kids are great, you get tons of knee hugs... that is they latch onto your knees! I definitely have my favorites but they are all great! I've been starting to tutor a girl after school instead of doing tutoring with the group because I see a ton of potential in her but because she never does her homework she has to do make up work all day and can't concentrate on what she needs to during the day. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was in school. So after the first day when we got all her homework done her teacher told me that she told her in class that it felt so good to have her homework done! That just made my day!! I know she can do it but when i asked her why she never does her homework her responds was "cause no one is there to help me!" That just broke my heart and so i stay after school and help her for an hour. Which most the time I would be doing anyways with the other tutoring but like today no one had tutoring but I still stayed behind and she said to me... "where is everyone else" I said "they all are back at home relaxing." and she goes "really? so you really do care about me!" and I said of course I do!! So that has been a highlight this week!

Not much more is going on... OH yes there is something fun I haven't talked about... ok maybe two things! first of all I'm going to San Fransisco this weekend for the Chinese new year. All the girls from our team except for our team leader are going. Three of us are taking the bus and the others are renting a car cause it was the cheapest way. Total it will only end up costing us around $40 cause we are only getting one hotel room and just having some people sleep on the floor and then with the bus and car split between 8 people it cuts it way down so it sound be a great time! The other thing is that this past weekend we went to Feather Falls, which is the 6th largest waterfall in the U.S. not including Alaska it was amazing! We had to hike about 4miles out there and then we took the longer way back but not as hilly as the short one which was 5miles. My shin splints started to kill me on the way back so I was in pain all the way back but i worked through it! But we hiked first to the outlook area and ate lunch and then we hiked up to the top of the waterfall which was sweet! I took some pictures that I'll post! So yeah... oh and another side note... Tara (my team leader) found out what our next project is so we should know within the next week what our next project is!! WOOT WOOT!!


A little creek on the way to the falls!

The view from the top of the waterfall!

The Water Fall!

The moutain view from the top of the waterfall!

An awesome view from the hike!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeet! Love the pictures! I'm so glad you're liking Americorps. Miss ya!