Friday, May 15, 2009

Its been a while!

So... I'm sorry its taken me so long to post an entry... But here it is!

We have now been here in Hattiesburg, MS for 3 weeks and I've only been here for about 2 & 1/2... you ask why? Well I went home and gave my mom the best surprise ever!! ME!! I traveled home on last Thursday and headed back to Mississippi on Monday, so it was a short trip home but well worth it! I packed a ton into that and hung out with some great friends! It was so GREAT to be home and it was awesome to see people again!! Anyways enough about my vacation away from work, its time to talk about the work we are doing here in Hattiesburg!

My team has been working on two different houses; one we actually finished up today and the other is still ongoing. The house that we just finished up had a crack in the ceiling from one side of the house to the other and so we had to tear down the ceiling, which included the insulation (the blown in kind) going everywhere!!! But after doing the demo, we replaced all the ceiling joists because some of them were cracked from hurricane wind damage (the cracks are what caused the crack in the drywall). After we replaced the joists we redrywalled the ceiling, mudded, taped, and painted the new drywall. And lastly we hung crown molding. Its been alot of fun learning how to do all this stuff! The other house that my team is working on was pretty much completely destroyed by the hurricane, it should have been torn down and started all over again but because of sentimental value it was shifted back into place... the walls are still kinda crooked, the corners aren't square but we are learning to improvise. In that house we have been working on the flooring, base boards, painting, some roofing, they built cabinets from scratch, we have done the whole bathroom (from dry walling, putting in the tub, tiling, putting in the toilet, building a vanity and pretty much everything else that is in a bathroom!) We have also been doing alot of odd jobs but it is a ton of fun and I’m learning a ton!!

We also found out our next project!! We are headed to NEW ORLEANS!!! I'm so excited! We will be working with habitat for humanity and living at the new Camp Hope (it probably won't be ready right away so we don't really know where we will be staying yet but probably about half way through we will move into the new Camp Hope) I'm super pumped because when I've traveled down to NOLA the last couple times on Campus Ministry trips we worked with habitat and I will be able to visit some friends that I have made down there! All in all it is like the best last project!

No comments: