Friday, November 28, 2008

Whats new....

So sorry I haven't blogged in a long time... my schedule is crazy and one of the last things i want to do after working is blog, so its kinda been set off to the side. But work has gotten a little better, we have been working on Harris county and even though we can't place mobile units in Houston because the city doesn't want them there, there are plenty of rental resources to offer people so that helps. So lets see what has happened since I last blogged....

My team went to Galveston to see some of the devastation in which we didn't see the worst of it but we did see some of the damage. A lot of my team was disappointed but at least we got to see some of what people are having to deal with. We also visited camp tarmac which is were a lot of our other Sacramento teams are living. It is a huge tent with about 400 cots in it and then there are separate tents with work out equipment, an internet cafe, a TV lounge and then also another big tent that is the dinning hall. They also have mobile shower units and something that is really cool, a laundry facilities that they drop off their laundry and 12 hours later they pick it up and it is folded and bagged sitting waiting for them. CRAZY!! We also went and visited a DRC (Disaster Recovery Center) and it was neat to see what they look like (even though it isn't much) because we sometimes tell people on the phone to go and take paper work to their local DRC so it was neat to see what we are actually sending them to.

Otherwise I spend my days working till 6pm and then coming back to the hotel and relaxing. Yesturday however was Thanksgiving and even though I wasn't with my family for Thanksgiving it was still and awesome day. My team and some other AmeriCorps members volunteered at the Turkey Trot (a five mile run) from 6am - 1pm. I helped out at a water station in which we handed out a total of get this... 8,700 cups of water! There were about 14,000 runners so it was pretty crazy to see all the runners and everything. After the run we all came back and took naps cause we were dead tired. But around 4:30pm my team left for the hotel of a bunch of the fema employees who invited us over for thanksgiving dinner. It was AMAZING!!! They had two tables full of food plus a table of deserts and salads and stuff. I had two huge plates of food (mashed potatoes, turkey, ham, stuffing, homemade mac and cheese, spinach salad, sweet potatoes, rolls and pumpkin pie) and was completely stuffed!! It was a little taste of home so far away! Then they sent us home with so much food we could eat for a whole week, not to mention Linda made me two pumpkin pies :D

So now we have off of work till Monday which I'm super excited about! A whole 4 days off in a row!! This week however I get two days off (Tuesday and Saturday) And Monday night me and another girl from my team (Amy) are renting a car and driving back down to Galveston. We are staying the night at Camp Tarmac which I'm excited about cause Kristen my roommate from CTI is staying there so I get to hang out for a little while with her. Then on Tuesday me and Amy are going to drive around and see more of the devastation from the hurricane so I'll make sure to post pictures of that after Tuesday. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments: