Friday, November 14, 2008

Well.....

So its been a roller coaster week.... My days consist of Monday, Wednesday, Fridays getting up at 5am to do PT from 5:30am-6:30am and then coming back to our room and showering to be out at the van at 7:25am to get off to work! On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays we just have to be out at the van at 7:25am. We work ten hours a day from 8am-6pm 6 days a week in an old department store which is kinda funny sometimes cause the escalators are still there (not working but still there) and most of the departmental signs are still there so like Juniors section or the kids section signs are still there.

Things have been crazy.... I don't like the job at all. I've been having a really hard time with it. I have never liked talking on the phone to people I don't know. Like whenever a doctor's appointment had to be made or a phone call to my car warranty company I made my parents do it and so for me to have to sit at the computer and call people is horrible for me. I've surprised myself at how well I'm doing but I still don't enjoy it at all. I go through them and try and find an easy case or something like that instead of just calling the cases I pull up. But what we have to do is call the different people in our system and make sure that they are in a safe environment and have a roof over their heads. If they were renters before the storm then all we can really do is offer them rental resources which in most cases if fine however when it comes to a city such as Galveston it is hard cause there are NO rental resources in the county. Therefore all we can do is if they have enough damage ($5,000) we can try to either put a mobile unit on their landlords property if there is water, electric and sewage or we can try to get them into a commercial site. And if they are owners then as long as they have enough damage ($5,000) then we can put a mobile unit on their property as long as there is electric, water, and sewage. So it can get pretty tricky, complicated, emotional and stressful and makes for a really hard time.

So I've just been taking it day by day and some good news that we got, starting next week our team will be rotating through people but each day two people will get an extra day off during the week so not only will we all get Sunday off, we will get another day off during the week also. Along with Thanksgiving coming up and we found out that we have a half a day of work on Wed, Thursday off, Friday and Saturday are optional work days which I will be taking off. So pretty much we have 17 1/2 work days left or something close to that.... That's really what is getting me through the rest of this project!!

This past Sunday however on our day off we went downtown as a team, well everyone except one person, but we just walked around downtown for about an hour and then we went to this botanical garden. It was a really nice break to walk around/just sit around the garden part of the time with another person from my team and the rest of the time just by myself. But I called my brother and talked to some friends back home and just hung out. It was a nice break from being with my team all the time. But then afterward we went and watched the Bats... yes we sat and waited for the sun to set and watched the bats come from our the congress bridge. Apparently between march and Oct. about 1.5 million bats live under this bridge and at sunset they all start to fly out. So even though it was a little past the prime time of the year to watch for them we got to see a fair amount of them and it was kinda cool. Even though I really don't' like bats and when they are like flying right by your head its not as cool as watching them from a far. :D

One more day till our day off and I CAN'T WAIT!!! But just so you can see where I spend my day I'll include some pictures of my desk and what not.

This is Robyne who on my right and is amazing!
And this is Linda, she sits behind me and is also an Amazing person and help for all this.

And this is my desk that I sit at everyday ten hours a day!

2 comments:

Dad said...

Love the updates Amanda! Be strong and hang in there. I'm very proud of you. Love, Dad.

Connie said...

Thanks for the newsy blog Amanda. This is Mer's mom. She doesn't include a lot of detail in her phone updates, so it's been fun reading yours. Keep taking pictures of her for us! Tell her I love her and really embarrass her!
MOM (Connie)